According to Mark Roemer Oakland, choosing a flooring option for your house is not easy since there are so many options available. However, knowing the standard flooring types and the benefits they offer can help decide which option you should go for and which ones you should avoid.
Here are the standard flooring types and their benefits:
- Hardwood – The timeless quality and feel of hardwood flooring make it a classic and popular flooring option in many parts of the world. Hardwood flooring consists of costly solid wood varieties such as oak, maple, cherry, or walnut. On average, it can cost you $5 to $10 per square foot to install hardwood flooring which is one of the costlier options.
However, it more than makes up for the expense by increasing the value of your home and providing versatility and quality that is only witnessed in premium products. Such flooring is strong and durable and can be refinished multiple times but requires regular maintenance to preserve its beauty.
- Vinyl – Vinyl flooring is composed of plastic and comes in several types such as tile, plank, and sheet. It is suitable for all types of budgets. In fact, you can even achieve a luxurious look with luxury vinyl tile (LVT) and luxury vinyl plank (LVP) which are some of the most popular options.
Vinyl flooring is suitable for bathrooms, kitchens, basements, and laundry rooms since they are extremely water-resistant and don’t fade easily.
- Laminate – Laminate flooring is a great alternative to hardwood flooring since it is not only cheaper and DIY friendly but offers a similar feel. Laminate flooring has a clear plastic protective layer that offers scratch resistance, makes it durable, and easier to clean. It is available in many types of style and color options and can be made to resemble other flooring types.
- Engineered wood – Engineered wood flooring offers the authentic look and feel of solid wood at a lower price. Plus, it is as durable as solid hardwood flooring but is more resistant to moisture and water compared to hardwood. It is also the choice for many DIYers since there are multiple installation methods you can follow.
- Carpet – Carpet is one of the most popular flooring options since it is available in so many different styles, textures, and color options. High-quality carpet flooring is not only durable and slip-resistant but offers a warm and cozy feeling that many people appreciate. You can also invest in carpet flooring that offers great soundproofing and is stain-resistant.
- Ceramic tile – Ceramic tile is the undisputed choice for moisture-prone areas such as bathroom and kitchens since it is water-resistant, long-lasting, and comes in a variety of different patterns and color options.
Mark Roemer Oakland suggests you consult with a reputed flooring contractor to discuss important details about the flooring types listed above and more. Ensure you consider important details such as your budget, the maintenance requirements over time, the effect of installing the flooring on a high-moisture area is applicable, and more.